Sunday, September 15, 2013

A Warm Beginning To September

My September began a little differently this year. As the wheel of the year took it's first turn into Autumn, my feet trod warm earth and were washed with gentle clear waves of Aegean Sea.
The first 'September' blackberry was picked amid hedgerows backed by olive groves.
I have travelled to the Greek islands before, many years ago but the smell of the olive groves this time seemed so familiar and comforting to me. An ancient smell of warmth and stone . My husband said it was the Roman blood in me, remembering?
Beautiful twisted, knarled, silvery trees, so old. I always wonder what a tree has seen and what stories it could tell when it can live over 2000 years old?
Across the water the mountains of mainland Greece stretch across the horizon. It's not far to Turkey and Bulgaria from here. Sitting quietly on the beach I'm transported back to the past and wonder about the travellers that have come and gone to this beautiful pine covered green isle, and who also tasted the fruit of these trees.
On this cold grey day here at home today I would love to be back there again.
The warmth on my skin, fennel edged roadsides, the comforting hum of crickets at night, humming bird hawk moths whirring and flitting about tiny pink climbing flowers, tzatziki, so many tomatoes, salty olives and aniseed taste of ouzo on my tongue.
And the sea
the beautiful beautiful sea
 filled with the tiniest sparkles of silver and gold mica.
 I tried to capture them so that you could see.
Glitter for Aegean mermaids.
With the snorkel on, we became part of another world.
A world of small stripy fishes and rich aubergine coloured spiky sea urchins that clung to rock.
Such a wonderful week it was to begin the Autumn.
When we left the gulls accompanied us, bidding us a goodbye as they had bid us a welcome when we arrived. Swooping and diving alongside the boat.
Watching them made me think that I'd quite like to come back as a seagull one day, if I ever had the opportunity. A seagull that lived on Thassos, Greece.  :)
I hope your Autumn has begun well?
I will be back very soon with new work to show.
X

38 comments:

  1. Simply beautiful, from the amazing tree to the sea and the beautiful accompanying music .
    Happy Autumn !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Willow, glad that you enjoyed. Wishing you a happy Autumn too. :) x

      Delete
  2. The Bureau of Greek tourism owes you a big fat check....just spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes!

      As I looked at the photos, I found myself wondering how I could get myself to Greece.

      Delete
    2. Oooh wouldn't that be nice. :) It would be rather lovely to travel around and review places. Hmmm.. I may have chosen the wrong career path.

      Delete
  3. You found an untouristy place on a Greek isle, it looks lovely. My dh and I spent time in Greece and Turkey, years ago, and loved it. Those ancient trees call out to me to give them a hug.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We also went years ago and island hopped. There were many touristy places but many gems too. There are still gems thankfully. :)

      Delete
  4. Oh... a tug at my heart. Did you know that I lived on the top of a mountain on Samos, Greece for half the year for twelve years? I lived at the very top of a small village, with an incredible view of the vineyards, olive groves and the sea beyond. I rented a small house in the middle of the village where I painted. In the afternoons I would ride my motorbike the 5kl to the sea and swim, walk, collect stones, visit with friends for the evening. It was a wonderful life for 6 months.

    Looks like your visit was lovely. Different shorelines up in Thassos. More sandy. But the land is similar, with those amazing olive trees. I spent a lot of time drawing in olive groves. Happy almost autumn to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow that sounds wonderful Valerianna! You must have incredible memories. I was planning to get to Samos on my last trip island hopping years back, but we never made it there. Instead we stayed longer some where else and time skipped by. Maybe one day I'll get to visit? :)

      Delete
  5. Stunning photos and lovely writing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Stunning photos and lovely writing

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful holiday.. thank you for sharing your photos and words. It's been 19 years since I was on a Greek isle.. wish I was there now, you have reminded me how magical it is
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. :)
      I'm sure you will get back there sometime. 1993 was the last time I was there before this trip. Where do the years go? x

      Delete
  8. Wonderful blogpost Karen! Those trees are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love those sparkly sea picture, the water is so clear - what a beautiful place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just beautiful and clear Betty and soo warm too. :)

      Delete
  10. The olive tree is beautiful and the sparkly sea pictures have cheered up my grey day no end! Tonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear it's brought a little cheer to your day Tonia. :)

      Delete
  11. What a wonderful place to end summer. I wish I was there today, it is grey here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wished I was back there the other day too, as it was just so so grey and cold here Cait. It's since warmed up though and the magical season of Autumn has really begun to shine through. ;)

      Delete
  12. What a wonderful way to start Autumn.....a lovely post with amazing pictures! Anita xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. ...awesome grecian deliciousness!...(O:

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! What a lovely holiday and fantastic pictures of the sparkly sea :)
    And as for that olive tree with all the nooks and crannies, I can visualise a painting with fairies and animals in the little spaces :)
    Welcome home - Happy September. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nooks and crannies are so inspiring aren't they! I was thinking similar thoughts about what would be in each. :) Happy September to you too redwitch. x

      Delete
  15. Looks wonderful, I love Greece. Glad you enjoyed your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rowan. It was a lovely family break. x

      Delete
  16. Okay, now I have to put Greece on my list of places to see. Loved your comments and photos!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the wonderful photos. I felt transported to that magical place for a few minutes.

    Lovely post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Jennifer. So glad that you enjoyed.

      Delete
  18. Beautiful blog once again! How do you add the music to your blog, I've been trying to do this to mine but have been having trouble?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy... Pop across to SCM music player and make a playlist, then follow their instructions to paste the code into your blog. Hope that helps. :)

      Delete
  19. Dear Karen, it seems we have both been looking out into the same seas and having the same thoughts and feelings on the beautiful islands of Greece...Although i have only just returned to my home and am still in the midst of washing and ironing! ~ my thoughts keep returning back....I am sure these memories will keep us warm and replenished during our long winter ahead!~ How lucky we were to have these memories...Ours was our very first adult holiday away....But I did miss my now grown up children very much! Autumnal hugs and kisses xxx Maria x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great minds must think alike Maria. ;) I hope you had a beautiful time too. We are indeed very lucky! I must pop across and hear all about yours travels. Big hugs back. :)x

      Delete

Thanks so much you for leaving me a comment.
It's great to hear from you! :-)