Friday, February 17, 2017

Fly Free with the Stars Little Shining One

The day is warm and bright. It's only February but feels like April today. The trees are filled with Robin song. There are four in the garden now, swift, full of energy and zest for life, darting from tree to tree, chasing one another beginning the Spring dance. I stand at the sink washing up the breakfast cups and plates and glance out of the window. High up in next doors pear tree sits a little red breasted soul serenading me with morning beauty.
After finishing the washing up, I wander into the garden hoping for a glimpse of my special Robin friend, but sadly my little tame Robin Goodfellow has disappeared... It's been almost a month now since I last saw him and now fear that the winter queen may have fallen in love with him and her icicle hands have gently stolen him away. Did she release him to fly up into the silver light of the January sun. Did she whisper to him to fly higher and higher, up to where the rainbows are born, so that when the red of dawn rises and golden sun sets, my red breasted feathered friend will shine his light   forever, for all to see.
Although my heart hurts that I may not see my little friend again, I am also filled with a deep joy at having been so blessed to have shared so many days with him  and to have earned his trust and friendship. I have shed tears for him before. I buried him, or one that I thought was him. A tiny feathered body laid down to rest in a grave filled with primrose petals last Spring. I remember sitting sadly on the wood stump later that afternoon, only to look up and see my friend gazing down at me from a branch. What's wrong, his intelligent bead like eyes questioned, here I am... 
They had looked so much alike, I kept a feather. Now I will wear it. A feather from a brother or sister, in a silver locket beside a picture of my sweet friend. 
Of course I'm secretly hoping that he may have taken wing to find new territory, or paired up already with a mate? But as I mentioned before Christmas, sadly he was losing feathers around his head and neck which probably made him vulnerable to the cold? Only time will tell... 
And so the garden life goes on, filled with chatter of a new season, but it feels lonely without my friend to greet me each day and follow me around for snippets of cheese and mealworms. I miss the way he would sometimes try to stop me leaving the garden, by sitting on the gate while I opened it on my way to the post office, as if to say... hey, feed me first before you go. :-) 
                                          Robin Goodfellow when I first met him September 2014
That first week when he disappeared, was it really just my imagination that the birds were singing more loudly as I walked from tree to tree looking for a sign of him. It felt as if they knew and were somehow telling me? The blackbird whom my Robin was often seen with, was perching near to another much younger looking Robin, with looks so similar to a young Robin Goodfellow. Could it be a son that his ebony friend is now keeping a fatherly eye on? I like to think so. 
And do you know, within a few days this new young robin had already come up to me and taken food from my hand. Now surely that must mean he has watched his father do it? 

The clouds have almost all blown away now and the sky is a clear forgetmenot blue. 

I will leave you with a small film clip which was the day before Christmas eve 2016.  A magical moment, when he let me stroke him. I believe it was my Christmas present? :-) 

'Fly free with the stars little shining one'

39 comments:

  1. How very sad and how wonderful you had that friendship thank you for sharing him with us

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feared the worst when I saw the blog title...so sad but it seems like his son has taken you under his wing :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he has taken me under his wing as you say. He is a gorgeous little thing. I have begun nick naming him 'Puck', although there is a part of me that doesn't want to become too attached again. It is a wonderful thing, but also fraught with worry. x

      Delete
  3. So sorry Karen, but what a magical friendship you had xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...thank you for sharing this wonderful, bittersweet story. I am such a fan of your art: perhaps, one fine day, when you have healed, you will paint your little departed friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting Glenna and being a fan :) Yes i will indeed add him to many future paintings. x

      Delete
  5. So sad that your little companion has gone. It's amazing that you could actually stroke him, he must have had such a happy life in your garden!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know Jess, I was amazed myself that he let me stroke him. I do miss him dearly x

      Delete
  6. Oh no I hope this little fella is just busy with his mate and will surprise you with a visit soon xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. They are such feisty and territorial birds. We have had a two in the garden but are now down to one as they have fought each other until there has been one winner. But they are also bugling here to attract females so hopefully he has paired off instead. Such gorgeous birds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are territorial so it's quite unusual to see 4 in the garden here. I do try and put food in different areas though so maybe they don't mind that. I'm hoping he has paired off as well, fingers crossed :)

      Delete
  8. Your Robins don't look like our Robins. They resemble our Bluebirds. What a gift to get that close. I hope his feathers grew in and he's happy somewhere with a mate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think our Robins are smaller than yours too Nicole? I would love to see a bluebird one day... x

      Delete
  9. Your Robins don't look like our Robins. They resemble our Bluebirds. What a gift to get that close. I hope his feathers grew in and he's happy somewhere with a mate.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a beautiful relationship... I know you miss him dearly.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 💕
    Your heart shows through your work. That will keep him with you. X

    ReplyDelete
  12. There's nothing as magical as Nature, is there? The hardest, yet best aspect of life itself is that is does go on, regardless of whom or what is left behind. There will always be buds emerging from the darkest branches after winter time. Only when we lose contact, as humans, with the land, the soil, and all that is living, do we lose sight of ourselves too. Sometimes, the smaller the creature, the greater the message. What a beautiful little bird....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it is most often the small things in life that are the big things. Too many people are off chasing the big things and pass the small things by without realising...

      Delete
  13. I so hope your little friend has found a mate and is safe. I watched the video, such a lovely thing to earn his trust. I think their song is one of the best in bird land and that their beauty is taken for granted because we are so used to seeing them around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so too...x I agree with you about their beauty being taken a little for granted and that their song being one of the best. I love music, but If someone asked me to name my favourite musicians my answer would be the Robin , blackbird, song thrush and skylark :)

      Delete
  14. A lovely post about your little feathered friend - how beautiful. Thank you.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so sorry for what you are missing, I hope he has found a mate and gone adventuring to new shores. Your story is a sad yet beautiful one. <3

    ReplyDelete
  16. Karen , i have a huge lump in my throat . This true little story has pulled at your heart strings and mine...I must say watching the video from Christmas , that he looked mighty elderly then . I wonder how long little Robin Red Breast's live ? This winter has been his last perhaps ? I'm so happy that he knew kindness with you. Bless him and you . I've mentioned before that ' The robin ' is a messenger .He was a very special . messenger . indeed . Hugs Maria ( Rosey tinted of course )xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks Maria for stopping by....Yes, he was a very special soul and I miss him each time I go out in the garden as he would always be there. The video did make him look older, although as his feathers were coming out I think that made him look even older. He was still quick at chasing the other Robins away and always had a good appetite. I think the average lifespan I read in the wild was around 2, due to predators but they can live much longer. In captivity up to 13 years even. I am just glad that I had his friendship :) x

      Delete
  17. I read this on our ride home yesterday. It's titled, The Black Telephone. This part is for you: Then, there was the time Petey, our pet canary, died. I called, "Information Please," and told her the sad story. She listened, and then said things grown-ups say to soothe a child. But I was not consoled. I asked her, "Why is it that birds should sing so beautifully and bring joy to all families, only to end up as a heap of feathers on the bottom of a cage?"

    She must have sensed my deep concern, for she said quietly, "Wayne, always remember that there are other worlds to sing in."

    Somehow I felt better . . .

    Your friend might not be gone. Some birds molt twice a year.I haven't seen my little bluejay since early winter, but I thought he was dying because he'd lost so many feathers. I thought I'd lost Mocker, my little mockingbird once too, after he disappeared for several weeks. Well, he eventually showed up, perched on the same branch of the mulberry tree, and sang a longer song.

    You were loved as you loved. Memories are salve for a bruised heart. Try to think of those of us who have never had such a love affair as yours. Now that's special.

    Be well.

    Hugs and hope.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Always remember there are other worlds to sing in'... I love that and believe it :)
      Thank you Limner for stopping by with such kind words. It was lovely to hear about your birds too.

      Delete
  18. How very sad, such a wee treasure to have in the garden and to spend those magical moments with. Treasured moments and memories to keep. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ahhhh... such sweetness here, and a tear, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much you for leaving me a comment.
It's great to hear from you! :-)